Lunch at Bar Bombon

Read Time:2 Minute, 53 Second

By: Anel Fajardo 

Tucked away on the corner, right across from Rittenhouse Square is a snug restaurant called Bar Bombon. Located at 133 South 18th street in Philadelphia, this place is gaining attention with its unique spin on traditional tapas Latin food. It was even voted one of the fifty best vegetarian restaurants by Food and Wine magazine. 

Now open for outdoor dining, opening hours start 3 pm to 10 pm Monday through Thursday. Friday to Saturday it opens at 3 pm and closes at 11 pm. On Sundays, they are open from 3 pm to 9 pm. Brunch is served every Saturday and Sunday until three. Delivery and pick up are now also available. Happy Hour is every weekday starting at 3 pm and ending at 6 pm. So, sit back and enjoy one of their mouthwatering cocktails by the bar. It truly will not disappoint.

A Latin American restaurant that puts a spicy twist to classic vegan food, yes, you heard it right, all plant-based Latin food. From arepas to Cubano club sliders, Bar Bombon is bringing in some classic dishes to satisfy anyone’s appetite.

Owner Nicole Marquis is also CEO and founder of two of the city’s most popular plant-based eateries called Charlie Was A Sinner and HipCityVeg. Bar Bombon’s philosophy is to make non-GMO dishes that are not only delicious but good for your health. Their motto is “food for life” and it lives up to that expectation. Even the tortillas are homemade and claimed to be just how your abuela used to make them.

Started lunch with a hearty appetizer, Spanish meatballs, that was accompanied by herb-grilled toast. It was excellently flavored and the toast complimented the romesco. The portions are perfect for just one or for two to share. I highly recommend and if you have room for more, order their classic nachos.

With their homemade vegan cheese sauce topped with beans, guacamole, and cumin crema. All the flavors blended and paired nicely with the homemade chips.

Photo taken by Naely Fajardo

I could not resist anymore and finally ordered the BBB club which is blackened chick’n, organic and smoked tempeh, avocado, dill pickles, and lettuce. On the side, it was paired with a nice salad. The shock on my face was unreal when I took my first bite. I would not guess that all the dishes so far were entirely vegan. Each one is different but equally delicious and flavorful.

I came in with high expectations and left satisfied. I was prepared to be served a third of what I was given as it was a tapas-style restaurant. But I was proven wrong, the portions are perfect for just one and can be shared with another. The seating outside was stunning and nicely decorated.

It’s comforting to know how many options there are for those who do not eat meat. The rise of veganism is gaining popularity as more and more options are popping up including in our campus cafeteria. Bar Bombon may be over the bridge but worth a quick train ride to visit as the area is welcoming and full of interesting shops.

If you are hungry for more, this place is worth checking out. A perfect brunch spot for anyone who is looking to widen their palate. While the weather is still dry, I would be the first to reserve a table before there are none left.

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %
Previous post RU Aware? What’s Going On In Student Government?
Next post Mahsa Amini: What you need to know