Welcoming Kimberly Lugo: The 2024-25 Student Body President

Read Time:4 Minute, 38 Second

“The Student Government Association (SGA) isn’t just about politics—it’s about advocating for students, addressing concerns, building connections, and getting involved in ways that truly make a difference,” says Kimberly Lugo, the new Rutgers–Camden student body president. The start of a new semester means a lot of changes on campus, but one major change that most students may not notice is the change in leadership for the Student Governing Association. While most students aren’t aware of this change as it happens, they most certainly will feel the effects as the semester progresses. 

Last year’s student body president, Matthew Brodsky, played an active role within the campus community, welcoming in new students, sharing important news, and bridging the gap between students and university leadership. Now that role has been passed on to Kimberly Lugo, the new student body president. Lugo was the SGA’s Vice President last year and won the presidential election at the end of the 2024 spring semester. To help students get to know her, Lugo talked with The Gleaner about her transition from vice president to student body president. 

“I initially joined the SGA out of a genuine interest in connecting with more people and becoming more engaged in the campus community,” explains Lugo. “Before serving as Vice President last year (2023-2024), I wasn’t very involved on campus, but I wanted to change that and make the most of my college experience.” 

Being a part of SGA is not Lugo’s only accomplishment on campus. She is a Bonner Civic Scholar, a member of the Tri-Alpha Honor Society, the Student Nursing Association, Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society, and President Holloway Student Advisory Committee, as well as being on the Centennial Steering Committee and Student Wellness Advisory Committee. Lugo also has conducted research on Alzheimer’s Disease and birthing conditions for Hispanic women in New Jersey. 

Taking over for Brodsky has been a smooth transition, according to Lugo, even as a woman in the role. “I feel honored to serve as student body president, especially as a female in this role… I believe it’s a very empowering journey for me, as while there may be unique challenges and expectations placed on women in leadership, I see these not as obstacles but opportunities to demonstrate myself as an effective leader and the importance of diverse voices in positions of influence.” 

Lugo is the very first Nursing student to be SGA president, begging the question why is it important for students outside of political majors to get involved in SGA? In response, Lugo said, “As nursing students, we’re often taught the importance of advocacy, especially for our patients. I see a strong parallel between that and my role in student government, where I get to advocate for the student body and work with the administration to address their needs. It’s a privilege and an honor to serve in this capacity, and I believe that both nursing and student leadership emphasize the importance of advocacy, connection, and service. Currently, I love being president, and I can’t wait to make an even greater impact.”

But what exactly is that impact? A lot of the work SGA does goes unnoticed by the majority of the student body, even though that is their main job: to connect with the student body and address their concerns. “During my term, I am prioritizing several key initiatives to enhance the student experience at Rutgers-Camden,” states Lugo. “Our three main goals in the SGA this year are transparency, advocacy, and effectively addressing student concerns. This involves making information about campus policies, budget allocations, and decision-making processes more accessible to all students. Additionally, we are actively exploring ways to improve campus resources, including expanding mental health services, enhancing campus safety, and promoting diversity and inclusion initiatives. By concentrating on these areas, I aim to foster a more engaged and well-informed student community.”

The most important aspect of SGA is student involvement. The organization cannot run without continued interest in campus government. So, Lugo gave some tips on the best ways for students to get involved. “​​It’s so important for students to know who their representatives are and to actively engage with student government. One of the easiest and most impactful ways to get involved is by attending our weekly general body meetings. These meetings are not only a chance to learn about the exciting projects SGA is working on, but also to hear from guest speakers across different Rutgers-Camden departments. Most importantly, they provide a platform for you to raise any concerns or ideas you have—we take every student’s voice seriously and work hard to make sure you’re represented.” 

“Whether you’re a freshman or a senior, there are plenty of ways to get involved. We have various committees you can join right away, and every spring, we host elections for representatives, senators, and e-board members. It’s an incredible way to have a real impact on campus, advocate for your peers, and help shape the Rutgers-Camden community for the better!” Lugo also notes that the easiest way to stay up to date about the ongoing events of student government is through their newsletters and their Instagram (@rucsga). “If there’s an issue on campus, SGA has the power to advocate for students and work toward real solutions. No matter your major, getting involved in SGA allows you to make a tangible impact and be the voice for students.”

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %
Previous post The Gleaner x WCCR Present: Is this the Song of the Summer !?!?!?!?!?!
Next post Welcome Spooky Season: Candlelight Concert Returns to Historic Laurel Hill Cemetery