Death of Houston and the aftermath


Cristina Chillem | A&E Editor

Whitney Houston lay dead under bath water at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, her luxury suite littered with bottles of prescription pills, Amoxicillin and Xanax among them. She was pronounced dead at 3:55pm on Saturday, February 11th at age 48.

The latest report on cause of death is that she died from mixing a cocktail of Xanax and other powerful prescription drugs with alcohol. There was not enough water in her lungs for her to have drowned, so she had to have died before falling asleep in the water. Although the autopsy is complete, results from the toxicology report will take approximately 4-6 weeks.

A family source told TMZ it was Houston’s aunt, Mary Jones, who discovered Houston’s unresponsive body in the bathtub and administered CPR. Jones had only left the room for a half hour after laying Houston’s dress for that evening’s pre-Grammy gala out on the bed.

Houston was a six-time Grammy winner, one of the world’s best-selling artists from the mid-1980s to the late 1990s, godchild of Aretha Franklin, cousin to Dionne Warwick, and also a successful black actress.

She was remembered at the Grammys when LL Cool J introduced a clip of Houston singing her signature ballad, a cover of Dolly Parton’s, “I Will Always Love You.” Also, Bonnie Raitt and Stevie Wonder praised Houston during their performances. Jennifer Hudson paid tribute with an emotion version of, “I Will Always Love You,” and ended with a personal note: “Whitney, we love you.” Houston’s famous song was the most downloaded single on iTunes that Sunday.

Meanwhile, Houston’s 18 year old daughter, Bobbi Kristina Brown, whose father is Bobby Brown, was transported by ambulance to a Los Angeles hospital Sunday morning. She was treated for stress and anxiety and later released. This is the second time Brown has been hospitalized since her mother’s death. Her family fears she might be suicidal. They’ve described her as, “hysterical, exhausted and inconsolable.”

The night before, Brown got into an angry shouting match with police officers outside the hotel room where her mother was found dead, when they refused to let her see the singer’s body. Other family members and friends who had been in the room when authorities arrived identified Houston’s body. So when Brown showed up several hours after Houston’s death and was informed no one was allowed to see the body, she screamed, cursed, demanded to see her mother and left. She then allegedly passed out and was admitted after drinking alcohol and taking a sedative pill given to her by one of her mother’s entourage to calm her down.

Houston’s ex-husband of 15 years, Bobby Brown, was in Nashville at the time of Houston’s death and Bobbie Kristina’s trip to the hospital. He was said to be, “in and out of crying fits,” but still appeared on stage Saturday with his band New Edition and cried out “I love you Whitney!” in the middle of the concert.

Brown then cancelled a concert in order to be by his daughter’s side. He told TMZ, “I am deeply saddened at the passing of my ex-wife, Whitney Houston. At this time, we ask for privacy, especially for my daughter, Bobbi-Kristina. I appreciate all of the condolences that have been directed towards my family and I at this most difficult time.”



About Author

Leave A Reply